If you reside in California, please also see the section below called California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Rights.
Information Collection and Use
SDS collects and stores certain information from or about you that can be used to uniquely contact, identify, or locate you (“Personal Information”).
When using the Site, you may provide us with Personal Information including, but not limited to, your name, address, phone number, email address, location, and zip code.
When using our Services, you or your Dealer may provide us with certain additional information (e.g., device description, business size and building layout, existing security systems, business system configuration, sensor names, appliances or other devices connected with the Services, account information, automation settings, and device settings) in order for us to personalize your Services. SDS may also receive Personal Information that you have provided to our third-party Dealers, including, but not limited to, emergency contact information, designated responder information, and user profile information, to enable SDS to provide our Services.
SDS may process information regarding your use of the Services, including but not limited to: performance of any security or other device monitored by SDS and usage and alert logs. We receive this type of information from your devices that are monitored by SDS and your computer, mobile device, or other electronic device through which you may access, browse, download, receive, or otherwise use the Site or Services (each a “Personal Device”), and we may also receive and process such information from third parties.
Video and Audio Data
You or your Dealer may enable the Dealers or certain third-party service providers to record, store, view and process video and/or audio recordings from your monitoring equipment.
Data protection and privacy laws in your country may impose certain responsibilities on you and your use of security cameras and other devices with recording capabilities. You (not SDS) are responsible for ensuring that you comply with any applicable laws. For example, you may need to display a notice that alerts visitors to your business that they may be recorded using security cameras and other devices with recording capabilities. SDS takes no responsibility for your compliance with these laws.
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
SDS, your Dealer, and our third-party service providers collect, use, and share Personal Information for reasons that include, but are not limited to:
- providing this Site and Services to you;
- operating and providing the Site;
- improving the Site, our Services, the user experience, and our business;
- in connection with your Dealer, the company through which you subscribed to our Services;
- in connection with the central station by your Dealer to receive alarm signals and coordinate emergency response;
- communicating with first responders to provide emergency response assistance;
- in connection with any entity who works on our behalf to provide the Services;
- when you have opted in to share the information;
- security purposes, including monitoring, risk assessment, addressing the Site’s integrity and security issues and fraud and crime prevention/detection;
- sending promotional or marketing materials regarding SDS;
- as necessary in connection with other lawful business purposes;
- as otherwise necessary when required or permitted by law;
- when information has been converted into a form that cannot be used to identify you;
- in connection with a merger or acquisition, or similar consolidation of SDS into or with another entity;
SDS has security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of your Personal Information that is provided through our password-protected dealer portal. However, no method of data transmission is completely secure.
California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) Rights
If you are a California resident and a “consumer” (as defined under the CCPA), then the CCPA may provide you with specific rights regarding your Personal Information. You have the right to request that businesses subject to the CCPA (which may include your Dealer or their customers) disclose certain information to you about their collection and use of your Personal Information over the past 12 months. In addition, you have the right to ask such businesses to delete personal information collected for you, subject to certain exceptions. You also have the right to opt out of a business selling or sharing your Personal Information. You may ask a business to limit its use of your sensitive Personal Information (e.g., biometric information or ethnicity), but know that SDS doesn’t use your sensitive Personal Information in a manner subject to that right. If you choose to exercise your rights, you also have the right not to be discriminated against and will not be charged different prices or provided different quality of services.
End Users of the Services
Business Contacts and Website Visitors
Sometimes we collect Personal Information when you’re acting on behalf of a company (e.g., as an employee, agent, or contractor) or otherwise interact with SDS directly (e.g., visiting the SDS website).
Information we Collect (Categories, Purposes, Sources)
We collect these categories of Personal Information:
- Identifiers — such as name, postal address, email address, or account name.
- Unique and online identifiers – such as internet protocol address or device IDs.
- Commercial information — such as records of products or services purchased.
- Demographic information — such as gender, age, income levels, and language preferences.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information — such as browsing history, search history and information regarding an individual’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
- Professional or educational information.
- Location information.
- Online viewing activities (e.g., videos viewed, pages viewed).
- Inferences, such as preferences and behaviors.
We collect the above categories of Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Performing our Services.
- Auditing customer transactions.
- Fraud prevention and authentication/identity verification.
- Debugging errors in systems.
- Marketing and advertising.
- Internal research, analytics and development — e.g., user-preference analytics.
- Developing, maintaining, provisioning or upgrading networks, services or devices.
We collect the above categories of Personal Information from the following sources:
- Directly from you.
- Automatically generated information — such as through the website or the Services
- Your employer.
- From other companies, such as marketing services.
We retain the Personal Information that we collect to achieve the purposes for which the Personal Information was collected. In certain cases, we may need to retain Personal Information for purposes required under applicable law, for tax, accounting, or audit purposes, or for other purposes permitted or required under law.
Disclosures of Personal Information
We may have disclosed each of the above categories of Personal Information with the following categories of third parties who perform services on our behalf:
- Product and services delivery companies.
- Marketing services companies.
- Cloud storage companies.
- Credit reporting agencies.
- Billing and payment processing companies.
- Fraud prevention and authentication/identity verification entities.
- Analytics companies.
We may allow certain third parties (such as online advertising services) to collect your Personal Information via automated technologies. We share the categories of Personal Information listed below for the business and commercial purposes of online advertising and to provide third-party social network features and functionality.
As described above, we do not directly disclose your Personal Information with third parties for monetary consideration. Our “selling” or “sharing” is instead confined to the context of online tracking, and so we may have “sold” or “shared” the following categories of Personal Information:
|Category of Personal Information||Category of Third Party|
|Identifiers||Advertising networks, data analytics providers, social networks|
|Commercial Information||Advertising networks, data analytics providers, social networks|
|Online Activity||Advertising networks, data analytics providers, social networks|
We do not knowingly sell or share the Personal Information of minors under 16 years of age.
How to exercise your CCPA rights
You can exercise any of your CCPA rights described in this section by contacting us at [email protected]. We may need to collect additional information about your previous interactions with SDS to verify your identity. You may designate an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf. To submit a request as an authorized agent on behalf of a consumer, please contact us at [email protected]
Cookies, Web Beacons and Website Analytics
We may also permit third parties to place or modify cookies on your Personal Device on our behalf. The third parties can use these “tracking cookies” (also known as “third-party cookies”) to determine if you have visited certain pages on our Site or other sites and may use tracking cookies to present targeted advertisements to you as you visit other sites. These tracking cookies do not contain personally identifiable information (though they do identify the Personal Device you use to visit the site) and you can configure your browser to reject tracking cookies.
If you access our Services or the Site through your Personal Device, we may automatically collect certain information about your Personal Device that could include usage information and statistics, an IP address, Personal Device type and model, browser type, Personal Device ID, domain names, access times, referring website addresses, Personal Device settings and history, and other information collected about your access of the Site or receipt of communications or notification from SDS.
Our Site may use Google Analytics, a web analytics service offered by Google, to better understand your use of our Site so that we can better understand how to improve these services. Google Analytics collects information about the number of times you visit a website, the web pages you view, and the web pages you viewed prior to visiting such a website. Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to you at the time you visit a website, rather than your name or other personally identifiable information.
Virginia Residents Only
Under Virginia’s privacy law, the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, SDS acts as a data processor and the Dealer will remain responsible for the handling of any Personal Information it collects from you. You should refer to the Dealer’s privacy notice for more information on their privacy practices or to exercise a right under the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act.
Utilizing our Site from Outside of the United States
Do Not Track Disclosures
Shooter Detection Systems, LLC
300 Newburyport Turnpike
Rowley, MA 01969
Last updated: December 30, 2022